Wednesday 25 August 2021

My explosion!

For our task today we had to make a balloon rise when it was still on the bottle. For this experiment we needed, baking soda, vinegar, a plastic bottle and a balloon. I liked learning the chemical change when baking soda and vinegar mix and it makes gas which blows the balloon up and when it is to full the balloon will shoot up. I found it challenging to put the balloon over the bottle. I enjoyed watching the balloon spraying vinegar and baking soda all over us. Next time I would quickly run away after I had put the baking soda in otherwise you get soaked. I think that the smaller the balloon is the smaller the balloon will get. I think that water temperature affects how fast the balloon fills up because if the waters is hot it will go slower than if its cold it will go faster. I think that the more baking soda and vinegar will affect how big the reaction is because if you lots of something with another lots of something it will most likely make a bigger reaction. This is a link to the page where I got the information. These are the steps that we had to follow.

1. Pour the baking soda into the balloon using a funnel. 
2. Pour three quarters of vinegar into a measuring cup.
3. Pour the vinegar into the plastic bottle.
4. Put the neck of the balloon over the neck of the plastic bottle.
5. Tip the balloon over the bottle so that the to chemicals can combine.
6. Stand back because the balloon might explode off the bottle and spray you with vinegar.
 


2 comments:

  1. Tino Pai Thomas! This was so much fun to watch in real life, and in your blog you’ve a great job of explaining the scientific steps you followed for this experiment. I’m looking forward to more science at home!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kia ora Thomas,

    You look like you are having a lot of fun! I like the way you answered the questions in your quality blog post and thought critically about why the balloon has blown up. Did your balloon grow bigger then the picture? There seems to be A LOT of overflow. Woohoo.

    Ma te wa,
    Miss Hickling

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your positive, thoughtful, helpful comments:
Positive - something done well.
Thoughtful - a sentence to let me know that you have read, watched or listened to my blog.
Helpful - give some ideas for next time or ask a question.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.